A number of building owners have recognised the benefits of retrofitting their buildings under an environmental upgrade agreement. Sustainable Melbourne Fund has prepared these case studies to highlight the opportunities that exist for building owners.
Click on the case studies for targeted energy and emissions savings and other key project details of retrofits funded through environmental upgrade finance.
The goal of any retrofit project is to improve the performance of a building.
- Lower operating costs One of the biggest and most obvious benefits to reducing energy consumption in buildings is that energy bills go down.
- Lower environmental footprint and greenhouse gas emissions A building that uses less energy is responsible for fewer greenhouse gas emissions. Retrofits also present the opportunity to improve waste management, use more sustainable construction materials and improve water efficiency.
- Improved indoor environment quality Indoor environment quality has become an important issue in modern office buildings. Retrofits offer the perfect opportunity to improve indoor environment quality, which in turn may have benefits for tenant health and productivity.
- Money saved investing in energy infrastructure If a building becomes more energy efficient it is possible that upgrades to switchboards and other electrical infrastructure can be avoided, saving both time and money.
- Improving corporate image Your commitment to energy efficiency and sustainability can have corporate image benefits.
For further case studies and information about the City of Melbourne's 1200 Buildings program, please follow this link.